Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Esperance






What a surprise – so warm here that I had to dig out the shorts and t-shirt again. I am surprised that Esperance has a temperate climate.

Did the Great Ocean Drive around the bays and the coast here is even better than Albany. I could settle into one of the hill top houses that look way out across either Twilight Bay or Esperance Bay and out to the Recherche Archipelago. The colour of the water was far more amazing than Broome – it ranged from deep blues to icy greens, aquas and azures. The more you looked the more interesting it was. There are a couple of wind farms along the coast providing more than 20% of the areas power needs.

It is a very neat town and the Port area is the most inviting I have ever seen. Large tankers come into the port to export grain and minerals. Apparently you can often see NZ fur seals and Aussie sea lions frolicking around the jetty.

Rotary Lookout is also one of the best designed with 360 views of the whole area. There is also a ‘Pink Lake’ so called because apparently if the circumstances are right it is pink! Caused by a high concentration of salt tolerant algae. While it wasn’t pink it certainly was a very strange colour.

So good here we are staying an extra day.

No comments: